• Tibshelf Parish Council Rotator
  • Tibshelf Parish Council Rotator
  • Tibshelf Parish Council Rotator

Tibshelf Past and Present

  

THIS SECTION OF THE SITE IS MANAGED BY

THE TIBSHELF LOCAL HISTORY AND CIVIC SOCIETY

 

 The following photos show Tibshelf as it was prior to Second World War and indeed earlier. Photographs of the village as it now, and which will be posted on the site later will show how much, or how little Tibshelf has changed.

high street bridge

This is the bridge on High Street which carried the main road over the Great Central Railway line from Sheffield to Nottingham. It effectively divided the village in two giving rise to the names Bottom End and Top End for the northern and southern ends of the village respectively. The residents are known as Top Enders and Bottom Enders. The building to the left is the old vicarage, with railway workers cottages to the right. The Parish Church of St. John The Baptist can be seen in the distance.

 

Tibshelf Church from north 2 x 1000 Another view of the Parish Church, this time from the less common northern aspect. Judging from the style of the clothes, this would appear to have been taken before the First World War, and certainly before the churchyard boundary wall was moved further back. Note the high wall with a gate in it on the left of the photo, and the old vicarage in the background. The pair of red brick semi detached houses does not appear to have been built at this time. The wooden building,, now the home of Steve Kerry's electrical appliance business is there. I think its use then may have been the meeting place fot the Royal Ancient Order of Buffalos. The little lad couldn't stand nonchalantly in the middle of the road today, and be safe. The modern day photograph displays a lot more greenery despite the loss of the two large trees in the centre. The old Vicarage has disappeared, but the gable end of the brick semi can just about be seen. The stone cottage is hiden by the tree on the extreme right of the photo.

 

 

Bridge 2

Another view looking towards the Church from over the bridge.The old Church Hall can clearly be seen peeping out just beyond the row of terraced houses. This was the centre of Village social life, providing a home for many village organisations, and hosting the Saturday Night dances, and the Church Youth Club. What no one realised was, that being all wood, it was an immense fire risk, but we survived.

 

 

High Street from Church tower

This is a photos taken from the otrher side of the bridge, and from a higher vantage point....the top of the church tower. Prominent in the picture is the old vicarage, and adjoining buildings. Judging from the car in the centre of the picture, a Ford Zephyr Zodiac Mk. III, the photo was taken some time after 1962 when those cars first appeared. Just visible in the distant top left is the vast expanse of roof to Tibshelf's cinema, the Savoy.

Photograph courtesy of Ivan Brentnall.

 

 

chesterfield road

Chesterfield Road, as the name implies, is the main road out of the village (one of five) to Chesterfield some 8 miles to the north. The nearest building on the left was a small shop selling bread, cakes and sweets, amongst other provisions, and was affectionately known as "Waggies" after the proprietor, Mr. Wagstaffe

 high street looking north east

High Street again, this time a little further south than in the first picture. The buildings on the left are now demolished, a house having been built on the site in the 1950s. Similarly the gable end and the buildings immediately beyond, have also been demolished. The building in the distance is the Wheatsheaf Hotel, whilst in the distance, the Parish Church can just about be seen.Rock House_Later

 

Known locally as Rock House Corner, this is the junction of High Street at its southern end, and where it becomes Doe Hill Lane, with Alfreton Road. The picture was taken in the 1930s/40s after work had begun on the road widening scheme. Rock House Farm can be seen just on the right of the picture.

 

Rock House_Early

Rock House Corner again, this time a much earlier picture showing how the road was cut through the rock

 

White Hart__Bus

One of the once seven watering holes in Tibshelf can be seen in the background, the White Hart, which stands at the junction of Chesterfield Road to the left, and Mansfield Road. This part of Mansfield Road is now called High Street,. with the former now starting at the road junction with Chesterfield Road. The bus is going to Underwood some10 miles to the south. The buses still stop here.

 White Hart_Mill_Farm

The White Hart again, this time with the view point a little further south, and slightly to the west, showing Mill Farm and the associated buildings, long since demolished.

 

Mill Farm

 

Mill Farm, full on, from then, Mansfield Road. The house still remains, but all the out buildings have long since disappeared. Originally a steam driven corn mill, I believe. A pond once stood on this site, presumably to provide the water for the mill.

 

High Street_Pictures

 

Taken from outside the Savoy Cinema which stood next door to the "Slap & Tickle" public house. The farm buiilding to right has disappeared, the site now being occupied by a late 20th century bungalow.

 

High Street_Raven

Taken from High Street close to the junction with Staffa Drive. The photograph is pre 1912, as the stone buildings on the left were demolished to make way for the brick semi detached houses "up the steps". The date on these houses is 1912.

 

High Street_Crofts

 

Another view of High Street, probably taken just before or just after World War II. Certainly prior to the widening of High Street because there is no footway on the left hand side of the road. Note the open highway drainage channel. Croft's the Chemists original shop still stands. It was also a provisions and grocery store then, as well as an agricultural supplier.

 

 

Early Church

 

Tibshelf Parish Church prior to its remodelling at the turn of the 19th century. It was then dedicated to SS Peter & Paul, and Tibshelf's feast day is still those saints' day, June 29th. Thats when the wakes used to set up on the old Co-op Field opposite the Post Office, where the flats and the Village Hall now stand

 

SUNNY BANK

 Taken from just below the old telephone exchange, this is Sunny Bank probably in the 1950s. The road was unmade then, and continued right up to the ponds, known then as "The Rezzer". Originally owned by St. Thomas' Hospital, the properties were eventually owned by the Blackwell Rural District Council who demolished them as unfit properties. They would have ben occupied by the miners' who worked at the "Bottom Pit", the slag heap of which can just be discerned in the distance.

 

Prospect Terrace_1

 Prospect Terrace once stood where the new Staffa Health Centre is located. All that remains in this view is the stone retaining wall. The Off License was owned by the long serving Chesterfield F.C. centre half, Dave Blakey, who incidentally, played more games for Chesterfield FC than any other player.

 

 PAVILLION 1935

Taken on 6th May 1935, the photograph is of the open air service held on the Sports Ground on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee of His Majesty King George V. The chimnies of the original houses on Sunny Bank can just be seen in the background.

 

 

  TIBSHELF'S RAILWAYS


Tibshelf Town


Opened January 1893


Closed to Passenger Traffic  March 1963.


Closed to Goods Traffic  May 1964 

 

Tibshelf Station_looking_South

Tibshelf Town Station looking south. Originally the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway, then the Great Central Railway, it became the L. N. E. R. in 1923, before the Nationalisation of the railways in 1947. In the distance can be seen the goods shed and signal box.The station buildings to the right were replaced in the 1950s by a smaller shelter type structure. From here the line went to Nottingham Victoria via Kirkby Bentinck, Hucknall Central and New Basford.

 

TIBSHELF STATION_LOOKING_NORTH Tibshelf Town Station looking north sometime between 1960 and 1967. The old Vicarage is still standing as is the Church Hall, but the old cottages have already been replaced by the flats on High Street. The next station was Pilsley, thence to Chesterfield Central via Heath. By this time the station had undergone some changes.


Tibshelf Town_New Another view of Tibshelf Station, this time much earlier, and judging from the posed station staff, probably an official Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway photograph. The canopies are much larger here, extending to the edge of the platform.


Station MSL to north

Station coloured 1Another early photograph of Tibshelf Twon Station, again most likely posed, and again probably rom the MS&LR days. Surprisingly, a coloured version of this photograph also exists, which probably indicates it was commisioned by the railway company.


tibshelf town.old2

 A view of Tibshelf Town Station from the High Street Bridge. The goods shed and signal box can be seen in the middle distance.

 

Tibshelf Signal Box x 640 1

The signal box close up. The gentleman sat on the steps is reputed to be Nev Davis, the signalman, and who use to live on Chesterfield Road.

 

Old Bridge

The old bridge which carried High Street over the railway line, and was the divin lin between Top Enders and Bottom Enders. The bridge was replaced around 50 years ago when it became unsafe. Passengers travelling on the upper deck of buses passing over it, had to walk over the bridge in order to spread the load. Its replacement, which was a then, state of the art construction still stands, and will have soon have lasted longer than the original structure.


Old Vicarage  Bridge x 800 BW

Another view of the bridge, probably taken from a first storey window of the adjacent Wheatsheaf hotel. Most of the other buildings, along with the bridge, have long since been demolished, including the three storey Vicarage and attachd buildings, the brick house to the rear, the terraced stone cottages, and the Church Hall which can just be seen beyond.


Old Vicarage_Rear

 

A view of the rear of the old vicarage from the other side of High Street, looking over the deep cutting. It was demolished in the 1970s. Again not much of this view remains, the railway cutting having been filled in years ago. A glimpse of the old wooden Church Hall can be seen on the extreme right.


 

Station Aerial2

Another aerial view this time takem from over the railway line. Tibshelf Town Station layout can be seen very clearly. The fields on the left are now built on; the Staffa Drive estate. It can also be seen, that whilst West View had already been built, the Derwent Drive estate had not. This dates the photo to the very early 1950s.The Savoy cinema is also visible on the extreme left.

 

Panorama 2

Looking towards Tibshelf from Newton, this is the LNER line as it passed over the LMS and Newton Road. In the middle distance  on the right, can been seen the old good shed, and just about visible on the horizon is Tibshelf Church and the old bridge over High Street. To th left of the photo, behind the telegraph pole you can see the old terraced houses rising up Sunny Bank.

.

 

TIBSHELF & NEWTON STATION


Opened 1883


Closed to Passengers 1930

 

MR Station Newton 2

This photo was probably taken from the Great Central Railway bridge over Newton Road, probably dates from the very early part of the 20th century. Note the loaded coal wagons in the sidings, no doubt the product of Tibshelf's two collieries, or maybe Silver Hill and Butcher Wood which t heline also served. The view is looking towards Tibshelf. The booking hall is now a dwelling



DOE HILL STATION


Opened 1862


Doe Hill station 2

Tibshelf's third railway station at Doe Hill, which is nearer Morton, but still within Tibshelf Parish. Judging from the fashions, and the clerestory coaches, this photo no doubt is pre 1923 when the Midland Railway railway became a constuent part of the newly formed LMS, but is probably prior to the First World War. As with Tibshelf & Newton Station, the booking hall has been converted into a dwelling.

 

*****************************************

 

High Street_Co-op

Judging by the fashions, this photograph was probably taken before the First World War. This part of High Street was then known as Staffa Street, the view point being just above the Tibshelf Equitable Co-operative Society's main shop. opposite the infants' school. All these buildings remain today, although some have changed, and not for the better, needing to combat the scourges of crime and vandalism.

 

Staffa Street 2

 This  view of Staffa Street was probaly taken just before, or just after the Second World War. The "Co-op Field" on the left was undeveloped then , but once a year it was the scene of much fun and merriment, when the Wakes came to town.

 

 High Street_Aerial

 An aerial view of High Street just below the bridge. The Derwent Drive/ Peveril Road estate isn't there so it has to be pre-1955. Also missing are the council bungalows on Back Lane. The little cottage which was dated around 1627 was replaced by a modern bungalow many years ago. It would have probably been a Listed Building had it survived the demolition madness of the 50's through to the 70's.


 Parade Sheaf

A very early photograph taken outside a new looking "Wheatsheaf". What was the parade for? Queen Victoria's Jubilee, King Edward VII's Coronation,  King George V's Coronation, Victory Parade at the end of the First World War, Whit Sunday Walk, Carnival? Any ideas? Please let us know.

 

THATCHED COTTAGE 

No historic photographic record of Tibshelf would be complete without an image of what is probably the best known building in the village after the Church. Judging by the fashions on the posed residents, this photograph probably dates back to the 1920s at the very latest. Until very recently, the cottage which dates back to the 1600s, only had thatch to the front of the roof, the rear being pantiles. It is one of only three Listed Buildings in the village.

.

 

TOWN FARM
Town Farm house on High Street. A few years ago, the chimnies were removed,much to the detriment of the appearance of the house. They have since been put back and Town Farm House has been restored to its former glory.

  

 

 

TIBSHELF AT PLAY


Its Carnival Time

tibshelf carnival 1935

The crowning of the Carnival Queen by Charlie Wass, a local luminarie. Also in the photo is the, then, local midwife, Nurse Morriss, and Mr. Reynolds. The dresses were made by local dressmaker, Mrs. Reddington who lived at 28, Spa Croft (Photograph kindly loaned by Mrs.Joyce Holmes).

 

 

 crowning of carnival queen

 A colour retouched photograph of the pricipals at the first Tibshelf Carnival in 1935. The Carnival Queen in the pink dres was Miss M. Irons, and the carnival King in the pale blue jacket was Roy Hall. The attendants were D. Smith (far left), and Joyce Woodland (far right), with Bill Gardner at the back (Photograph kindly loaned by Mrs.Joyce Holmes).

 

 

Tibshelf Carnival Queens 1a x 1000

A bevy of Tibshelf Belles from Carnival 1952 The Carnival Queen was, I believe, Sylvia Bingham, and her attendants, left to right were Jennifer Smith, Christine Bingham, ????, Vivian Holmes  I (A future Carnival Queen I believe), Dorothy Caunt and ?????? If you can fill in the gaps, please let us know.



Tibshelf Carnival Queens 2


More Tibshelf Belles from earlier times, but my recollections of who they are is very limited this time. Fourth from the left is Elsie Collings (A future Carnival Queen, or was she a previous one of 1950), and second from the right is one of the Wallis sisters. Again, if any one can help with identification, please contact us.



KGVI Coronation Procession Tibshelf 4


A very serious looking gentleman, a bit reminiscent of Blakey offrom 1970's TV sitcom "On The Buses" fame, ensuring the safety of the mounted guardsman, both participants in Tibshelf's procession celebrating the Coronation of King George VI on May 12th 1937


KGVI Coronation Procession Tibshelf 2

A happier looking bunch on this float as it passes by Spa Croft, on its way no doubt, to the Sports Ground.


KGVI Coronation Procession Tibshelf 3


This float looks as though its about to enter the Sports Ground with its group of Tibshelf youngsters who appear to be representing certain aspects of the British Empire, including, it would appear, Britannia on the left.


KGVI Coronation Procession Tibshelf 1


The theme of this float is "Crossing the Line", i.e., sailing over the equator (I never knew that was located on Newton Road !!!!!). Does anyone recognise anyone on these floats, or if you were one of the youngsters, it could have been you? As these photos were taken nearly 80 years ago, any octogenarians could be there on the floats, or the horse. Please let us know.


TIBSHELF'S INDUSTRIES.


The Mines.

 

Tibshelf-3-4 Top Pit

Tibshelf Top Pit, the site of which was where the Sawpit Lane Industrial Estate is now located. The name Sawpit came from the lan which used to lead to the Saw Pits where wood for pit props, imported from Scandinavia, was cut to required sizes, and then distributed all over the country by rail. Disaster struck in 1956, when the woodyard caught fire, and never re-opened afterwards.

 

Tibshelf bottom pit

Tibshelf Bottom Pit was situated around the ponds at the end of the Five Pits Trail, and as formally known as Pts 1 & 2.


Tibshelf Bottom Pit 1932

 A view from within the heart of Tibshelf Bottom Pit in 1932. I wonder who the little lad was, and should he have really been there?

 

  

Tibshelf Bottom Pit New

Another view of Tibshelf Bottom Pit.

 

 

 

Tibshelf-Rescue-Team

 As the writing says, Tibshelf Colliery No. 2 (Bottom Pit) Rescue Team from 1932. Can anyone identify any of these gentlemen?

 

 The Oil Well

OIL WELLOilwell building BW

 

 

 

 Tibshelf's main claim to fame is the location of the first mainland oilwell in England, as declared on the village signs. Production began in 1919 with 6 barrels a day. An overland pipeline was built from the oilwell over the fields to Pilsley Station to be loaded into railway tankers. In 1938, only 93 barrels were produced in that year, but the advent of the Second World War gave the well a stay of excecution. The well finally ceased production in 1945, but it has been estimated that only 10% of the oil was ever extracted, so who knows, Tibshelf could become the new Texas yet !!!!!!!  .


 

TIBSHELF FROM THE AIR.


The following photographs were taken by Tibshelf resident, Mr. George Wilson of High Street, who was official photoghrapher at Rolls-Royce, who owned Hucknall Aerodrome, from which, no doubt, the aircraft flew. The aerodrome closed in March 2015, its future destiny probably being developed as a housing estate. The aerodrome uise to hold annual air displays, the writer attending one in 1960. It was also featured in the film "The One That Got Away", about the only German PoW who escaped, but was recaptured before he could leave the country. The date of the photographs are 1950/1915.


Tommys Row. Crick. etc. x 1000 Starting at the "Bottom End", this shows the Parish Spports Ground, or The "Crick" as it was called in those days, and surrounded by the line of poplar trees. which older residents remember quite vividly, and the majestic horse chestnuts on the other side.Sadly, after over 100 years of gracing the "Crick", having been planted to celebrate Queen Victoria's Jubilee, they are only a shadow of their former self. St. Thomas' Row is there in its entirity, as is Alfreton Row, and Sunny Bank. The fields beyond the Sports Ground is now the site of the Staffa Drive/Shetland Road housing estate, and St. Thomas' Close occupying that traingular area of land between St. Thomas' Close and Alfreton Row, which was then the home of the intertionally renowned Johnson's Chrysanthemum Nurseries. Can you spot The Mission which is now the home of the Tibshelf Scouts and Guides, but was then an active church, a subsidary of St. John The Baptist Church.



Aerial Sunny Bank x 1000


Our plane has now swung round in a westerley direction, flying directly over Sunny Bank and looking towards the High Street and thye recently completed West View. On the extreme middle left of the photo is Rock House Farm when it was still an operating farm, the farmer being Ben Smith. Beyond West View are the Hilly Fields,as they were know locally.


 

High Street Bottom End x 100

 

Our pilot has now swung to the north east and is flying above Rock House Corner, with the photo looking up the length of High Street. Many of the buildings on the right side of High Street have disappeared, some to make way for the Staffa Drive access,others to make way for new buildings, and others, just demolished, as was the case of the "Savoy" cinema. West View has been completed, but the fields beyond are still undeveloped, but it won't be long before Derwent Drive, Peveril Road, Monsal Crescent, and Lathkil Grove are added to the street pattern of post-War Tibshelf.

 

 

 

 Aerial Fields West View x 1000

 

Our plane has climbed somewhat higher to take this general shot looking over Back Lane and High Street where the view takes in the full length of the "Bottom End" from the newly completed bridge on the left, down to Sunny Bank and St. Thomas' Row on the right.

 

 

 Back Lane x 1000

 

Flying a little lower now, we are now directly over what was to become the Derwent Drive Estate, looking down towards the "Bottom End". Visible in the central part of the photo is the hipped roof of the back of the "Savoy" cinema, and equally noticeable, this time, by their absence, are the council bungalows on Back Lane. In the distant haze can be seen St. Thomas' Row, and Sunny Bank, whilst on the left of the photo is the goods shed and signal box, and a local train making its way to Nottingham Victoria station. Tibshelf "Bottom End" then was mainly a linear settlement, but as the years progressed, it filled out.


Aerial Back Lane top x 1600

 

A liitle bit closer to the bridge, which can be seen to the left, we can get a more detailed look at the top end of Back Lane. The fields at the bottom of the photo is where Monsal Crescent and Peveril Road are. Near the top of the photo is the railway line which use to run from the main line just south of Tibshelf Town Station, up to the "Top Pit" yard.



 Aerial High Street School x 1000

 

On to the "Top End" we go, with our 'plane flying directly over the then allotments. These were taken over by the Derbyshire County Council a few years later to enable to scholl to be extended, and playing fields to be created, which also involved ourchase of the Co-op fields. This photo would have been taken towards the end of June when the Wakes would tradtionally arrive, and they can be seen setting up in the Co-op Field, on the right hand side. In the bottom left hand corner is Prospect Terrace with Dave Blakey's (ex- Chesterfield FC Centre Half) shop at the end. Staffa Health Centre is now located there. The full length of Staffa Street is visible, and which, apart from cosmetic changes such as shop fronts, has changed very little over the years. This was also a time when all the shops were occupied; Tibshelf Equitable Co-operative Society central branch as it was then known, before being absorbed into Mansfield Co-op, and then Nottingham Co-op, Midlands Co-op, and whatever its called now. There was also the co-op buctchers were the paper shop is, and a drapery department further along. There was the Post Office, Hunters, Mrs. Timmins', Randles Furniture, Mr. Pacey's Cake and Bread shop, a fish and chip shop, Bircumshaw's Gents Hairdressers, a Confectioners, Whetton's, Brown's Butchers, Heaton's Shoe Shop, and no doubt others that I have missed.

Brooke St. Lincoln Street. x 1000

 

 

Our 'plane has now turned east and is flying above the back of Hardwick Street.  The earlier Vicarage is on the right of the picture, with all the trees that used to be there. Also stillpresent at this time was the original Lincoln Street, to be demolished in the next couple of decades. This was a little community in itself boasting a shop on nearly every corner; paper shop, confectioners, green grocery, Smith's bread and cakes, with a bakery behind, not to mention the recently demolished, and redeveloped Brooke Street Club. Again, the Wakes can be seen setting up in the Co-op Field.

 

 Aerial Photo Top School cut x 1000

 

Another piece of Tibshelf's past which has now disappeared, thanks to Derbyshire County Council and its somewhat unimaginitive treatment of an iconic building in the village, i.e. demolition rather than re-use. It was known as Tibshelf Secondary Modern School thenThose who passed their 11+ went to Tupton Hall Grammar School, but all was not lost if you didn't as many a pupil from the "Top School" achieved greatly in later life.. Pupils from Tibshelf, Newton, Hilcote ("B" Winning), Westhouses, and Blackwell, and Wild Hill, received their education here. Also visible are the rears of the properties on what was then Staffa Street.



Back of Church  High Street A x 1000Our plane is now heading south and is passing over Lincoln Street/Babbington Street, giving us an interesting view of the rear of the parish church, and that part of the older part of the village which adjoined it. Many of these buildings disappeared during the "knock down the old and replace with the new" culture of the 1960s and 1970s, which is rather a pity, as  this would now be considered an extremely part of the village. Gone are the old vicarage (three storey building) and adjoining buildings, the row of terraced cottages opposite, the church hall, and the cottage in which 98/100 High Street now stands.


Aerial Station x 1000

 

One final pass of our charter plane as it heads back south, no doubt to ots home base of Hucknall Aerodrome. The station building is in the bottom right hand corner of the picture,  with the rears of High Street properties in the centre. Ashmore Farm is still operational as witnessed by the Dutch barn with its store of hay bales.

 

Tibshelf street names and names of other locations which have now disappeared, plus significant events in Tibshelf's recent history. 

 

Staffa Street

Now part of High Street between Vicar Lane and Hardwick Street. Disappeared in the 1960  as a result of some umimaginative standardisation of street names by Blackwell RDC. Named after the Isle of Staffa in the Hebrides off the west coast of Scotland, by the man who invested in the erection of the shops along Staffa Street between Vicar Lane and Hardwick Street, because he was so impressed with the island. The same gentleman had connections with the Seeley family who owned the "Bottom Pit". The name lives on in Staffa Drive at the "Bottom End"

 

Jessamine Terrace

Small row of terrace houses of which now only one remains. The site is now Dennis Rye Ltd's. Builders yard.

 

Primrose Terrace

A picturesque and evocative name which belies its location in the bottom pit yard. A small group of miners' houses built around 150 years ago but long since demolished, being unfit for modern habitation.

 

St. Thomas' Row

Two long rows of artisans' houses built to accommodate the miners who worked at Tibshelf "Bottom Pit". As with the houses on Primrose Terrace, which were similar in style, they were condemned and demolished in the late 1960s. They (St. Thomas' Row) formed part of a small but distinct community with its own pub, (Tibshelf and Newton Miners' Welfare), Church (The Mission, now the HQ of the Scouts and Guides), Alfreton Road Chapel, (long demolished and now a car park adjacent to the school), a grocery & general provisions shop (A branch of the then Tibshelf Co-op), and a fish and chip shop (Ada Ford's, who made lovely greasy, and overflowing with cholesterol, traditional fish and chips). The Parish Sports Ground was also part of this thriving and unique community. Named after a major landowner in Tibshelf, St. Thomas' Hospital, the name lives on in St. Thomas' Close.

 

Propect Terrace

A row of terraced houses overlooking the then Mansfield Road (now High Street), and demolished in the 1970s. The Staffa Health Centre now occupies the site. The northern end was an off-licence, the proprietor being a stalwart of Chesterfield FC, the centre half (somewhere between mid-field and the back three, four or five) in the 1950s, and later, a scout for Burnley FC.

 

Fox Park

A small row of terraced houses on Doe Hill Lane near the junction with Peewit (Pyewye) Lane, (also known as Nethermoor Lane). Demolished in the 1960s because they were considered unfit fior human habitation. The garage opposite (now Maun Motors) was known as Fox Park Garage, selling Esso Petrol, and later Jet.

 

The Chicken Run

Now part of the Five Pits Trail, the Chicken Run was a narrow footpath which ran from the Station Yard, parallel to the former railway, to Sunny Bank, opposite Elm Tree Row. The route is more or less that which is that followed by the Five Pits Trail.

 

Bryan's Yard

Adjacent to the the former chemist shop (now a travel agent's office), and named after the farmer who lived in the adjoining farm to the north east. The site is now ocupied by a detached house which erected in the early 1950s.

 

Malthouse Brewery Row

Row of terraced cottages behind the Crown Hotel, and demoloished in the 1930s

 

Spike Island

That area around the White Hart, and including the old cottages opposite. Exact boundaries not known.

 

Giant's Bum

A man made topographiclal feature between Staffa Drive and the Five Pit's Trail. Created as a result of tipping during the construcion of the Great Central Railway in the late 19th Cebturty. The form of the tipping was descriptive of a giant's bum. It is now largely overgrown and its original form is much less discerinble

 

Tibshelf's Tornado

Not a tornado, but a whirlwind which wreaked havoc at the "Top End" from Chesterfield Road to Hardwick Street, and Brooke Street. The name was immortalised in Tibshelf's own successful marching band of the 1980s.......The Tibshelf Tornados. More information on the whirlwind will be included in the future.

 

The Flower Show

A major event in Tibshelf which took place in early August every year at the Parish Sports Ground. Apart from the horticultural displays, and competitions for baking, animal breeding etc., the afternoon was taken up by an athletic event including running, cycling, tug-of-war etc. In the days before professional athletics, all prizes were in the form of goods which were displayed in the windows of the Tibshelf Equitable Co-operative Society Limited on High Street, or Staffa Street as it was known then. Tibshelf's own athlete, Tommy Hullatt was a reguklar competitor at the event. A page on Tibshelf's Flower Show w ill be included in the future.

 

The Woodyard Fire

The Bottom Pit Yard was the repository of timber baulks which were used as pit props in the local mines. It was known locally as the Wood Yard. One day it caught fire.........!!!!!!! Its location was just beyond the reservoirs which are now the fishing ponds.

 

Lane End Farm Fire

Two major fires within a short space of time. Lane End Farm is located near the junction of Chesterfield Road and High Street. Lane End Farm was noted internationally for its pig breeding. Unfortunately, the fire caused irredeemable loss to the concern.

 

Johnson's Nurseries

Chrysanthemum growers of world wide fame. The location of the nurseries was where St. Thomas' Close is now. They later moved to where Newton Road Stables are now, but by then it was too late. A sad loss to Tibshelf's heritage.

 

Education

Before comprehensive education, pupils in Tibshelf who were successful in the 11 Plus went to Tupton Hall Grammar School. Those who were successful in the 13 Plus went to William Rhodes School, or Violet Markham's, both in Chesterfield. There are many instances of Tibshelf pupils who went on to greater things after failing the 11 Plus. Tibshelf School continues to be a beacon of local education, but has since relocated to its new site on Doe Hill Lane (2015). The old scholl buidings ahve been demolished (2015).

 

Tibshelf Co-op

Tibshelf Co-op was once known as the Tibshelf Equitable Co-operative Society Limited. It had branches not only at St. Thomas' Row, but also at Newton (near the War Memorial), Morton (opposite the Live and Let Live pub), and New Higham (near the cross roads on the A61). A later branch was built on Derwent Drive when the then new housing estate was built.The Co-op boasted a butchers'. a drapery store, a general grocer's and pro wvisions store, plus, in earlier times a bakery, cobblers, and many other outlets which you would expect from a major retail provider. Tibshelf Co-op was there before ASDA. Tibshelf Co-op was taken over by Mansfield Co-operative Society Limited, and then by The Greater Nottingham Co-op. It has now lost all its branches and and has been re-located to where it was first sited. The old Co-op shop remains empty.

 

Croft Bros.

Once a major retail outlet in the village. Croft Brothers' was located on the open area of land opposite J&S News. Croft's were not only the local chemists', they were also a significant provisions merchants, rivalled only by the Co-op, and a provider to local agriculture. Croft Bros. had the first telephone number on the Tibshelf Exchange, Tibshelf 1, and this is still reflected in the telephone number of Croft's the Chemist at Waverley Street (872201) having gone through several metamorphoses instigated by changes in the telephone numbering system.

 

Doctors' Surgeries

Prior to re-location at Tibshelf Health Centre, near the Church, and now the site of Enable, there were two doctors' surgeries. The "Top End" was served by Doctor Hurst, and later by Doctor Hunt, at Heathfield, on High Street, opposite Staffa Health Centre, and by Doctor Graham, whose surgery was in the building occupied, until recently, by Derbyshire Drapes (opposite "The Crown". It subsequently became a Dental Surgery, relocated from Hill Brow on Alfreton Road, when it was known as Hesketh's Dental Surgery, inspiring much fear into the inhabitants of Tibshelf. I should point out that this fear was not caused by the practice itself, but by the fear which the populace in general had in respect of having ones' teeth pulled. "Fairy Scent" did nothing to allay the author's fears.

 

The Railways

Tibshelf once boasted three railway stations. The main station was Tibshelf Town, in the middle of the village, and accessed via Station Road at the side of the Wheatsheaf Public House. The line was built in the late 19th century by the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway, then reamed the Great Central Railway Company, later to become part of the LNER. Lord Beeching sounded the death knell in the 1960s, all traffic ceasing in 1967. Doe Hill Station, although nearer Morton, is still in Tibshelf Parish, survived a little longer, and is located on the Midland Line between Chesterfield and Nottingham. The line became part of the LMS. The third station, which closed to passenger traffic in the 1930s, is now the location of Smith's Scrap Yard on Newton Road. The old station booking office is still there, and has been converted to a dwelling. The line itself remained open as a goods line serving the North Nottinghamshire Collieries at Silver Hill, Butchers' Wood, and beyond, providing an outlet to the main line at Westhouses well into the 1980s. This line was also part of the Midland line.

 

The HIlly Fields

Depending on whether you were a "Top Ender", or a "Bottom Ender", the Hilly Fields were either down Westwood Lane, or the fields beyond Harrison’s Lane. Three streams once provided endless hours of pleasure for the local children whether "fishing" for minnows, sticklebacks, bullheads, or tadpoles. Alternatively, you could build a "dam" with grass sods and create a small pond. Yes it was safe for kids of any age to go down the Hillies without adult supervision.

 

Forecroft Colliery.

A small colliery situated to the rear of 35 Spa Croft. The colliery closed in the 1870s.

 

Tibshelf's Great War

Follow the link to view the film produced to commemorate the centenary of WW1

.